THE SECOND STORY | September 19th, 2019

Where ya gonna go…in a tsunami?

I attended a city meeting this evening….about tsunamis. We haven’t felt the effect of one of these for a long time, but the members of the not-crowded City Council chamber was mostly boat owners/dwellers.

I think that the city has records that I own a boat(s). We did own 2 boats and a canoe at one time.

The canoe is now hanging from the rafters in the carriage house (i.e. Carl’s former workshop). The canoe was one way that Carl taught Evan how to build stuff.

I got rid of the 26′ 1966 Chris Craft Hubba Hubba (a twin-engine gas guzzler) years ago. Sold it for $1. Yep…one buck. (see a previous post on

As I was looking at the map on the screen this evening, I realized I’d seen the effects of a tsunami…where was I? Oh yeah. I was in 5th or 6th grade and we lived in San Rafael, in 1964.

That was the first time I’d seen the tide come in and go out within 15 minutes? Usually, the tides run between 6-7 hrs each. The Alaska earthquake hit and we felt the effects: 15 minutes for high tide and immediately 15 minutes for low tide.


My dad took me and my brother to the harbor where he kept his sailboat. It was a 24′ Columbia Challenger. San Francisco Bay is a much larger body of water than Newport Harbor, thus the larger boat.

The upshot of the meeting this evening is this: If we have a tsunami: go to Buena Vista Ave. and wait it out there, per the map that the presenters had. And BTW, Clinton Ave is considered high ground. Maybe we can have a bar-b-que.

Bay Farm Island, South Shore, and Eastshore….umm, not so much. They’ll be swamped (literally).

(BTW…Evan built a fence with some of his friends around the front of their’s the type that is now “in” – the boards lay laterally rather than vertically. It looks good because it matches the vintage of the home – circa 1960s.)

Alameda Real Estate this Week


MLS=Multiple Listing Service 

AC= active contingent (the buyer needs to sell something before s(he) can complete the transaction. This could be when another buyer might write a back-up offer. If the primary buyer can’t meet the deadlines, the back-up moves into the primary position and it’s bye-bye to the first buyer). If the second buyer finds a property that s(he) likes…then they can drop out of the 1st property and write on the second property. One thing is for sure…you do NOT want to buy both properties at the same time.

BOM=back on the market (could be that the buyer had some conditions in the contract that s(he) couldn’t meet in a timely manner.)

PCH= price change (seller either raised or dropped the price)

PSB=pending sale (seller wants backup offers)

Tuesday Tour 14

Active Listings (including 1 AC, 1 BOM, 4 PCH)

Pending Listings 12 (including 5 PSB)

Sold Listings 12

That’s a wrap! Contact me if you have questions (or if you have the answers) about this market!

best, marilyn

See my for fun blog

Published by


I arrived in Alameda in 1973, as a new bride...with husband Carl Schumacher, both of us from Newport Beach. He was embarking on his career as a Naval Architect (i.e. yacht designer) under Gary Mull. Please see the 'ABOUT ME' page in this website! to see how it has all turned out! I'm so blessed!