This shot was taken about a week ago, along the bike/walk path at Bay Farm Island.
Boomer-chick-musings.com I lost a good buddy this week
What items can be a surprise for Sellers who have already moved out and are waiting (although not long in this market) for a pending sale to get through the close of escrow?
1. Lights. Interior lights must be on during a showing. Many will not think about that…and may be surprised by the bill.
2. Garbage pickup. Not a good idea to cancel it too quickly. Most agents will want the Sellers to keep it going while the property is listed and once it goes pending. There is almost always something that needs to be tossed out prior to the close of escrow (COE). More trash, yard stuff, stuff left behind in closets and cabinets, and buyers do not want those items. I’ve had properties that have been stuffed to the rafters with items that haven’t been pulled down! For the minimal amount of the bin charge, sometimes that extra ‘stuff’ can be gotten rid off each week in the recycle, trash, or green bins.
3. Water. While agents do go by their listings regularly (well, I do), if someone (like a buyer) uses the toilet, it can be running for a couple of days or more, once the Buyers walk away from the house. Plus, if there are no operational sprinklers, the Sellers need to count on someone to do the watering for them. This is not the time to be penny-wise or pound-foolish. Chances are the agent has encourage the Sellers to get their yards in shape for showing…and if they aren’t there a kid, or gardener (aka the agent), needs to tend to it.
4. Leftovers. Food often is left in the cabinets and refrig and even in the oven. I’ve taken all kinds of items to the Goodwill and FoodBank! Better to get it used than tossed. Another reason to keep the garbage going once the Sellers are gone. I’ve even found laundry in the washing machine and/or dryer that the Sellers forgot to take with them. Sometimes we need to ship the clothes etc to them in their new place.
5. HazMat – Don’t forget to get rid of old paint cans, the jars, bottles, and tubes. I wish I had a penny for each of those I’ve taken to the Alameda County waste place over the Park Street Bridge.
6. Un-waste – People leave rather amazing, non-working electrical items. I’m almost on a first name basis with the folks at the Un-waste station, just over the Fruitvale Bridge (go over the bridge to Oakland, straight to the freeway overpass, and turn right just before it, and continue down to the end of the road, turn right and the Un-waste place is right there. No charge for unloading your electrical stuff and more!
Alameda real estate this week...
Broker Tour Tues. It was cold, sunny and really windy this past Tuesday! But I went out to 94502 and back to the main island. More than a few times agents asked me if I was getting blown over on my bike! Around the Harbor Bay bike path, there is nothing but Alcatraz (and that doesn’t do much) blocking the wind…and I was tuckered out by the time I got home!
Active listings this week 52, pending listings this week 54
Alameda real estate awards this week…remember this is only my perspective!
Nothing really stood out to me this week.
That’s a wrap! Make it work! Questions? I may have answers! Thank you for your referrals of your friends, neighbors, co-workers, and vendors you do business with when it comes to real estate! I may not be able to help everyone…but it is a pleasure to speak with them, at the least!